Atlantic Cape Community College invites the public to view “From the Page – Book Illustrations,” an exhibit running through March 11 in the art gallery, housed in the William Spangler Library on the Mays Landing Campus, 5100 Black Horse Pike. The college also invites the public to attend an artist reception, 1:30 – 3 p.m., Friday, Feb. 24, in the gallery.
The exhibit features various styles of book illustrations, including wood engravings, paintings and drawings by nine award-winning and emerging artists. E.B. Lewis, a Hammonton artist who has won the Caldecott Medal and Coretta Scott King award for his watercolor book art, is displaying several pieces in the exhibit. Lewis is also including a copy of his recent book, Preaching to the Chickens, a story about the childhood of civil rights leader John Lewis.
Also on display is Beyond Hammonton, a chapbook of poems by Stephen Dunn with wood engravings by Michael McGarvey, professor of art at Stockton University. McGarvey is also including several engravings from his upcoming book, The Orphan’s Song, a memoir of James O’Neil.
The exhibit also features work from the following artists:
- Joe Del Beato, a former artist for Marvel Comics
- Dana Juliano, Brisko, A True Tale of Holocaust Survival
- Liddy Lindsay, Opera A-Z: A Beginner’s Guide to Opera
- Christie Mealo, Elephant, Elephant, Come Alive and The Diving Horse and the Magic Whistle
- Stephanie Segal Miller, A is for Alligator, An Animal Alphabet Book
- Dorrie Papademetriou, The Story of Mary the Mother of God, Celebrate the Earth and Herman of Alaska
- Linda Wexler, The Sleepy Animal ABCzzz
The gallery, located in D Building, hosts monthly exhibits of a wide variety of works, including drawings, paintings, printmaking, computer arts, ceramics, sculpture, photography, mixed media, 2-D design and crafts. Showcased artists include students, faculty and local artisans.
Gallery hours are: 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Friday; and 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday. For more information, contact Joyce Hagen, art gallery coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 609-625-1111, ext. 5346.