Atlantic Cape Community College student-athletes Kurt Hamby of Absecon, Nick Harring of Mays Landing, Holly Heacock of Cape May Court House, Ericka Johns of Egg Harbor Township, Brian Khoury of Linwood, and Madelyn Torres of Brigantine have received national academic awards by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) for their exemplary achievement during the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Hamby, 20, pitched and played third base on the baseball team. He led the team in pitching with a 0.69 ERA and had a .302 batting average. He has maintained a 3.87 GPA, and received the NJCAA Superior Award for Academic Excellence.
- Harring, 20, pitched and played first base while maintaining a 3.78 GPA.
- Heacock, 20, played outfield and second base for the softball team. She had a 3.98 GPA and earned the NJCAA Award for Superior Academic Achievement.
- Khoury, 20, is a second baseman on the baseball team. He had a 3.90 GPA and received the NJCAA Award for Superior Academic Achievement. He led the team in homeruns and received the team’s leadership and academic award.
- Johns, 21, played libero for the volleyball team. She was named 1st Team All Garden State Athletic Conference and 3rd Team All Region for women’s volleyball this season. She had 9.62 digs per set, among the top in the nation. She had a 3.78 GPA and received the NJCAA Award for Exemplary Academic Achievement.
- Torres, 20, played second base and shortstop on the softball team. She also played outside hitter for the volleyball team. She earned a 3.69 GPA.
“These student-athletes are to be congratulated on meeting the challenge of excelling academically while playing an intercollegiate sport,” said Mike Rennick, assistant director of athletics at Atlantic Cape.
Atlantic Cape’s baseball and softball teams were recognized by the NJCAA as Academic Teams of the Year, where the teams earned higher than a 3.0 GPA.
The NJCAA Academic Student-Athlete Awards were previously known as NJCAA Academic All-American honors. The NJCAA has renamed its academic awards program to the following: NJCAA Pinnacle Award for Academic Excellence (4.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale); NJCAA Award for Superior Academic Achievement (3.80 to 3.99 GPA on a 4.00 scale); and NJCAA Award for Exemplary Academic Achievement (3.60 to 3.79 GPA on a 4.00 scale).